Encouraging Growth, Changing Lives
Enriching Communities

Guardianship For Adults With ASD


Ideally, you want to have a responsible person have guardianship over an adult with ASD!

Parents are always responsible for their children. For the most part, they are their child’s legal guardian and make decisions regarding a child’s welfare, education, and health. In fact, parents with autism are also responsible for making decisions regarding their children’s therapy. Choosing what foods your child eats, what schools they attend, and what type of therapy they receive is something that comes with being a parent of a child with autism. However, what happens when a child turns 18? In the United States, anyone who is 18 or older is considered an adult, regardless of whether or not they have a developmental disability. Therefore, if you are concerned about being able to still make decisions for a child who is over 18 that has autism or some other developmental disability, here are a few things you should be aware of.

Rights And Responsibilities Of Adults

As adults, we all have rights and responsibilities. Adults typically make their own decisions as it relates to money, health care, and living situations. In fact, if an 18-year-old adult with autism rejects medical care, the medical professionals must abide by the 18-year-old’s decisions. As a result, adults with autism face extreme difficulty when it comes to making decisions on their own. They may not be able to fully comprehend the intricacies that come with managing finances, choosing proper health care, and finding a place to live. A lot of these decisions had always been conducted by their parent which allowed them to not have to worry about these things even as they matured. However, since autism is such a wide-ranging disorder with people all over the spectrum, there are certain people with autism who are able to handle making more decisions than others. For instance, maybe your adult child is fully able to make their own doctor and therapy appointments but is unable to handle more complicated things such as taxes and other financial decisions. Whatever the case may be, becoming a legal guardian for your adult child may be in the best interests of everyone involved.

Full Legal Guardianship

To help parents ensure that their adult children are protected, the federal government, as well as individual states, have caretaker options that can be customized and tailored to the specific needs of your adult child. In fact, the most intensive option available is to become a full legal guardian of your adult child. As a result, you are able to make all the decisions regarding your adult child who has autism. While this is often the solution for those whose adult children have a really difficult time with making even the most mundane decision, it isn’t always the best option. It is critical that parents begin to examine the various options available and consider the specific needs of their adult children when it comes to making decisions on their behalf.

Seek Therapy And Counseling Services Through The Family Service Foundation, Inc.

If your adult child is struggling with autism or any other developmental disability and looking for someone to help them with their symptoms, contact a professional at Family Service Foundation, Inc. We offer outpatient mental health clinic services from trained staff who are passionate about helping all of their clients. We are committed to encouraging growth, changing lives, and enriching the community around us. If you are looking for help, give us a call at (301) 459-2121 or visit us online. For more tips on getting over grief, follow us on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Pinterest, and Google+.